Sunday, November 14, 2010

The Magna Carta

Hello. Nicolas Keros Again. Today's interview is about the Magna Carta. Our guest today is King John of England.

Nicolas: Hello John.
John: Greetings Nicolas.
Nicolas: What forced you to sign the Magna Carta?
John: I started to lose land from extremely high taxes. I also started to lose some power because of the Pope. Then, the Barons rebelled against my high taxes and made me sign the Magna Carta in 1215.
Nicolas: What is this Magna Carta? Is it a law?
John: Yes, it is indeed a law.  This law states the rights of the Barons. I must obey this law when I’m the king. Also, I must obey the due process of law. The due process of law is a particular rule of government that the people must follow for fair and impartial trial.
Nicolas: Is it okay if you can raise taxes during the Magna Carta?
John: I can if I consult with my grand council of higher lords and they agree with me. I actually don’t want to raise taxes because when I raised the taxes, it was an mistake. Now, I’m trying to rebuild my town.
Nicolas: Ok. That’s all we have for today. Thank you, John, for coming. See you all at the last discussion of the season.

No comments:

Post a Comment